Dispute resolution process
If you are not happy with our products or services or you have any complaint about MIGA, we will do our best to resolve the matter in a fair and equitable manner with you.
Simply contact us to discuss your complaint. To allow us to make a full assessment, we will request that you submit details of your complaint in writing to us along with any supporting documentation.
Our process for resolution of any matters is two tier and is as follows:
Internal Dispute Resolution process
- This process enables you to first raise any matter or concern with us
- Simply contact us and then submit details of your complaint in writing to us
- We will respond to your complaint with an initial determination within 7 business days
- Where you remain dissatisfied with the initial determination, the CEO will complete a review of the details provided in relation to the dispute and provide an internal determination on the matter within 14 days of receipt of the dispute
- Our committment in terms of how disputes will be resolved and dealt with is as follows:
- Where the dispute is resolved internally in your favour any action required by MIGA to resolve the matter will be undertaken immediately and we will then consider the matter resolved
- Where the dispute is resolved in favour of the initial determination or supports the initial advice given, this will be communicated in writing to you
- MIGA will consider each dispute on the basis of the specific facts and documentation surrounding the dispute. MIGA is committed to acting with fairness and objectivity at all times when dealing with a dispute and the insured lodging it.
External Dispute Resolution process
If you are not satisfied with the steps taken by us to resolve your complaint or you are not comfortable with the resolution, you can seek assistance from the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
The FOS is an independent national body which comprises the Banking and Financial Services ombudsman, the Financial Industry Complaints Service and the Insurance Ombudsman Service. The FOS is established to review consumer disputes in relation to banking, insurance and investment disputes.
You can refer an insurance related dispute to the FOS at no cost to you, but you must refer any matters to the FOS within two years of being advised by us of our decision in relation to the disputed matter through our Internal Dispute Resolution process.
The FOS will only consider insurance matters. If you are a member of MDASA, the FOS cannot consider matters relating to your membership nor any entitlements you may have to discretionary indemnity with MDASA.
The contact details for the FOS are:
Financial Ombudsman Service
GPO Box 3
MELBOURNE VIC 3001
1300 78 08 08
Fax: (03) 9613 6399
If you would like more information about the FOS, if you have a dispute or would like to make a complaint, we will provide a summary of the process for handling matters through the FOS to you.
Where the FOS terms of reference do not extend to you or your dispute, we will give you information about other external dispute resolution options that may be available to you.