Student Protection Package
MIGA supports medical students with a free Protection Package
As a medical student, you may be surprised how many of your interactions can result in the need for advice and support of a medico-legal nature.
Fortunately, student members of MIGA are supported and protected by broad insurance cover and our expert team of medico-legal and risk management advisors. Membership also offers you other great benefits which may be important to you as a student - and future doctor.
Don't take unnecessary risks when free insurance cover is available to you.
Join MIGA and Study with confidence.
Why do medical students need insurance?
"Isn't a medical indemnity insurer someone you only need when a patient sues you?"
This is a common misperception and we understand it can sometimes be difficult to recognise the importance of medical indemnity insurance for students.
To help you understand how and when you can benefit from insurance cover we have developed case studies highlighting how MIGA, through your insurance policy and membership, can assist you to deal with difficult and unfamiliar situations.
View our student case studies and discover how MIGA can support you.
MIGA is more than just your insurer - receive these and other great benefits!
- Regular emails and competitions - exclusive emails with tips and links to relevant student resources, plus easy to enter competitions with awesome prizes!
- Access to financial assistance through the Elective Grants Program - each year up to five Grants of $3,500 each are available
- Support and advice via:
- Our 24/7 emergency support service for medical students anywhere in Australia
- A professional claims management service in the event you are involved in a claim
- A legal advisory service providing assistance with any enquiries you may have in relation to your conduct as a medical student
- MIGA's bi-monthly Bulletin - containing information to help you stay informed of important issues and providing an insight into your future career as a doctor
- Free Medical Indemnity insurance as an Intern when you complete your medical studies - MIGA is here to support you in each and every stage of your adventure in medicine.
What does MIGA's Student Policy cover?
One of the key benefits of MIGA's Student Policy is cover for your clinical, and voluntary elective and scholarship placements, including John Flynn Scholarships.
There are many other important inclusions in your policy - these are explained in more detail on our Student Policy page in simple terms and without any complex legal talk!
You too can be protected by our free Protection Package for students by completing our simple online Application Form. If you have any questions in relation to our Package for students, we encourage you to contact our friendly Client Services Department on 1800 777 156.