MIGA service commitment
MIGA's Service Commitment
As a tangible measure of MIGA's commitment to service, MIGA is Australia's first MDO owned medical indemnity insurer to voluntarily adopt the general insurance industry's 2010 Code of Practice (the Code). MIGA has also developed its own Service Commitment to underpin the Code, which includes measurable service standards in support of our goal to provide outstanding service.
The Code was developed by the Insurance Council of Australia (Insurance Council) on behalf of the Australian general insurance industry and it is monitored by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
How does the Code help MIGA's clients and policy holders?
For our clients and policy holders this means we promise to serve them in an honest, efficient, fair and transparent manner.
We must abide by the following:
- When you provide information to us you can be confident that only relevant information will be used to assess you application for insurance with us
- If we cannot provide you with cover, you will be given reasons for the decision and will be referred to information regarding alternative insurance options.
Notifying a claim to us
- Australian general insurers pay an average of $96.4 million in claims each working day and the Code speeds up this process1
- If you are the subject of a claim and have provided us with all relevant information and no further information, assessment or investigation is required by us, you will be notified of our decision to confirm or deny your entitlement to indemnity within 10 business days of receiving your notification
- If we need more information from you, we will request that further information within 10 business days of receiving your notification
- If any of these timeframes are not able to be complied with, we will advise you
- We will keep you informed of the progress of a claim made against you by a third party within timeframes we agree with you.
The right information
- We will make available to you up-to-date, clear, concise information to assist in the understanding of how medical and professional indemnity insurance works so you, as the consumer, can make an informed decision
- We will ensure that our staff are adequately trained to carry out their functions competently.
MIGA's Service Commitment
In addition to the standards set out in the Code, MIGA has developed a Service Commitment tailored to our business of medical and professional indemnity, which includes measurable service standards.
For more information about the Code and MIGA's Service Commitment download a copy of our Service Commitment Brochure.
What this means for our clients and policy holders
MIGA's adoption of the Code and Service Commitment set out the minimum standards we apply to the delivery of services to our members and policy holders.
These are measurable standards by which you can assess the level of service you receive from us.
At MIGA we strive to ensure that our clients and policy holders can 'Practise with confidence'.
- Confident that you have broad insurance protection
- Confident that we will be there to support you both financially and emotionally, when a claim arises
- Confident you have access to quality risk management education
- Confident that you will receive the individual care and attention, for which we are renowned, and
- Confident that we are continously working to improve our service.
For more information in relation to:
MIGA's adoption of the Code and our Service Commitment - download the Service Commitment Brochure
The Code is available at www.codeofpractice.com.au
MIGA's Dispute Resolution Process
Financial Ombudsman Service
1 Source: Insurance Council of Australia, Consumer brochure - General Insurance Code of Practice